Special Crimes Bureau
Tyler Dunman was our speaker for the weekly Rotary Club of The Woodlands luncheon.
He shared some particulars on the make-up of the District Attorney's office, consisting of Legal Services, Trial and Special Crimes. Mr. Dunman is responsible for the Special Crimes Bureau. This Bureau is responsible for prosecution within the following divisions: Vehicular Crimes Division, Special Victims Division, Internet Crimes Against Children Division, Major Crimes Division, White Collar / Civil Litigation Division, and Environmental Crimes Division.
- While the DA's office is the 11th largest in the state of Texas, their Vehicular Crimes Division deals with the largest number of DWI fatalities in the state.
- The Special Victim's Division has been housed with the Children's Safe Harbor non-profit to allow for a one-stop shop for families dealing with these sorts of crimes.
- The Internet Crimes Against Children Division is part of a national network that consists of sixty-one coordinated local task forces and nearly 3,000 local and regional affiliated agencies.
- The Major Crimes Division deals with issues including large-scale narcotics investigations, seizures and court presentations, as well as serial cases involving crimes against persons and property and organized criminal activity.
- The White Collar Division prosecutes complex financial crimes with a monetary value equal to or greater than $100,000.
- The Environmental Crimes Division handles cases such as illegal dumping onto land or into water, improper disposal of oil and gas waste, and criminal outdoor burning